Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Blow Out the Candles -- November 15

Pianist and conductor Daniel Barenboim turns 67 today.
Born in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 1942  Daniel was a piano prodigy.  He gave his first concert in 1950 at age seven.  In addition to his career as pianist Barenboim is also a renowned conductor.  He served as Music Director for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra from 1991-2006 succeeding Sir George Solti

British singer Petula Clark is celebrating her 79th birthday today.




Artist Georgia O'Keefe was born in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin on this date in 1887.
Portrait by Alfred Stieglitz
"I believe I would rather have Stieglitz like something - anything I had done - than anyone else I know."

I really don't care for those skull paintings she's know for.  Here are a few I do like:
The Shelton with Sunspots 1926
"One can't paint New York as it is, but rather as it is felt."
Series 1 No 3 1918
"I decided to start anew, to strip away what I had been taught."
Light of Iris 1924
"I hate flowers - I paint them because they're cheaper than models and they don't move."
"Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...