Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Blow Out the Candles July 10

Hall of Famer Andre Dawson is celebrating his 58th birthday today.
 1983 Topps
1989 Topps

In case you've forgotten Andre was the Rookie of the Year in 1977, won 8 Gold Gloves, was an 8 time All-Star and the NL MVP in 1987.


If you'd like more on Andre I've got a feeling our friend Brian at 30 Year Old Cardboard will have some today.

Artist Camille Pissarro was born on the island of St. Thomas on this date in 1830.

Paint the essential character of things. 

Old Chelsea Bridge 1871

Work at the same time on sky, water, branches, ground, keeping everything going on an equal basis... Don't be afraid of putting on colour... Paint generously and unhesitatingly, for it is best not to lose the first impression. 
Church and Farm Eragny 1895

Cover the canvas at the first go, then work at it until you see nothing more to add.
The Boulevard Montmarte on a Winter Morning 1897

Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. 
Haymakers Resting 1891

Actor Fred Gwynne was born in New York City on this date in 1926.
Car 54, Where Are You?
Officer Francis Muldoon

 Herman Munster


My Cousin Vinnie
Judge Chamberlain Haller

Novelist Marcel Proust was born in Auteuil, France on this date in 1871.

"We say that the hour of death cannot be forecast, but when we say this we imagine that hour as placed in an obscure and distant future. It never occurs to us that it has any connection with the day already begun or that death could arrive this same afternoon, this afternoon which is so certain and which has every hour filled in advance."

Proust is most well known for his seven volume novel, "In Search of Lost Time".

I started reading this novel three times before finally devoting about four months to it (years ago, now) and reading the whole thing (about 3200 pages).  I know it's not for everyone but I really enjoyed it.  

Singer/songwriter Arlo Guthrie is celebrating his 64th birthday today.

Arlo with Pete Seeger


This is my original copy of Alice's Restaurant circa 1974.



3 comments:

  1. I have used "The Boulevard Montmarte on a Winter Morning" as my wintertime desktop wallpaper for about 10 years now. Odd for me to see it in the dead of summer.

    One of the saddest days of my life was when someone I loved and respected did not get an Alice's Restaurant reference last thanksgiving, thus proving to me that she had somehow gone 36 years on this planet without hearing it. Needless to say, I remedied that situation right away, but still, it stung. I mean, it made me want to kill...kill...KILL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't used the Pissarro but I have used a Monet as a wallpaper. Why not! Do love "The Boulevard..." It's funny and wonderful that an "impressionist" painting can so transport you to a place and time.

      I feel your pain about Alice. I mentioned to a young co-worker the other day that Fiona Apple had a new album coming out and she replied that she had never heard of her. I mentioned The Beatles and she answered that her mother likes them.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for paying tribute to 'The Hawk' today. You made some great photo choices, as usual!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...