Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Blow Out the Candles May 16

Second baseman and manager Billy Martin was born in Berkeley, California on this date in 1928.
I may not have been the best Yankee to put on the pinstripes, but I am the proudest.
 "Most people miss the great part mental outlook plays in this game."
"If liking a kid who will never let you down in the clutch is favoritism, then I plead guilty." - Casey Stengel on Martin as a player
"I have no idea why I liked him so much. We never could figure it out. Me and Whitey Ford and Billy were all so different. That's why we got along so well." - Mickey Mantle in the Washington Times (12/29/1989)
"Everything looks nicer when you win. The girls are prettier. The cigars taste better. The trees are greener."
"I really love the togetherness in baseball. That's a real true love."
"The day I become a good loser, I'm quitting baseball. I always had a temper. I think it's nothing to be ashamed of. If you know how to use it, it can help. Temper is something the good Lord gave me and I can't just throw it out the window." - Billy Martin in the Sporting News (10/26/1968)

Pitcher Rick Reuschel is celebrating his 63rd birthday today.
Rick didn't look much like an athlete but he managed to win 214 games in a 19 year career.  He was a three time All-Star and won two Gold Gloves.  At age 39 he went 19-11 for the Giants.  He was in the middle of a follow-up 17-8 record in the photo below.
 Hard to see Rick as a Yankee.

Pitcher Jack Morris is celebrating his 57th birthday today.
Jack finished his career with a 254-186 record.  He was a five time All-Star and won 4 WS Championships with three teams, Tigers, Twins and Blue Jays.

Outfielder Dave Philley was born in Paris, Texas on this date in 1920.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...