Search This Blog

Thursday, June 15, 2023

A Century of Progress

 The 1933 Chicago World's Fair, A Century of Progress, opened 90 years ago.  This is a first day postcard, rather than a cover.  There were lots of picture postcards issued commemorating the two year fair.  I have around 80 of them from at least eight sets.  Lord knows how many sets there were.  

This card appropriately has the one cent Fort Dearborn stamp.  Also issued on May 25, 1933 was a violet three cent letter rate stamp depicting the modern Federal Building.







4 comments:

  1. Neat! I really like the artwork on this one. It's got a lot going on. 80 postcards for that World's Fair seems really impressive too. I don't think that I have more than 10 for any particular subject or event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. Wait till I start posting about my Art Institute of Chicago postcard collection!

      Delete
  2. I'm starting to have a deeper appreciation for first day covers. I like how they sometimes document a significant historical event... and include a stamp from that era. I'll pick them up every so often, but after seeing a bunch sitting in antique stores in Ashland... I might have to actively look and collect them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my feelings. I have four binders worth. One has about 70 sports related covers, including a bunch that are signed.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...