Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2011

A Collector Collects -- Peanuts Fawcett Crest Books

It's been a while since my last "A Collector Collects" but I knew I had to do another when I read this Night Owl post.  Cardboard Junkie commented that, like myself, he collected (consumed) these books as a kid and still has them.  As with my love for baseball and the Cubs, the books have a direct connection to my Dad.  On Saturday nights we would go to Robands Drugstore (now an eye surgery office) on Pratt and California in Chicago to buy the Sunday papers.  I was allowed to buy any new Peanuts books.  It started my lifelong love of Charlie Brown and the gang.  Robands was coincidentally also where I bought most of my baseball cards as a kid.

A few of these are duplicates that I got later but most of them are from my childhood.

Below are the front and backs of some of the oldest of the books.  While they aren't 1st editions, they're from the mid-1960's, these are some of the first books in the series that ran until 1991.

This is the very first book.  






This is an exception, not being a Fawcett Crest publication but it's one of my favorites.

2 comments:

  1. I am also familiar with these. While I only owned maybe 2 or 3 of the books, my uncle was a pianist and taught lessons. He had this waiting area filled with Highlights magazines, comic books, and a whole mess of the Fawcett Peanuts books. I particularly remember the "You're a Winner Charlie Brown" and "Good Ol' Snoopy" books.

    I often wonder where those books disappeared to -- they probably weren't in great shape from a bunch of piano students (and nephews) fingering through them, but I hope they found a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I need to get some of those for my kids.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...