Search This Blog

Monday, December 10, 2018

A Postcard From the Archives

I've been collecting postcards and first day covers in a major way for the last year and a half.  It's been a lot of fun and I've accumulated hundreds of cool pieces.

This is a postcard I recently rediscovered in my childhood collection.  At one time it was in a scrapbook, as evidenced by the cellophane tape residue at the top and bottom.  I wish I could tell you a good story about how I "wrote away for" this card and how excited I was when it arrived in my mailbox in Chicago.  Unfortunately those memories are gone or are lost in a "corrupted file" in my brain.  At least I held onto it and can now appreciate it 45 years later.
I love the stamp of the happy Cubbie.  Back in the summer of 1973 an average Joe could still "join the fun at Wrigley Field" without breaking the bank.  Even a kid could get an unreserved seat for a buck or two.  Nothing like it is today.
On the date this card was postmarked the Cubs played the Phillies and lost 6-5.  George Brett's much traveled brother Ken went the distance for the win and Milt (almost had a perfect game) Pappas took the loss.  It was the second game of  a double-header and Mr. Santo after having gone 1-3 in the opener was resting but pinch hit in the 8th, flying out to right field.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool piece of baseball memorabilia. The stamp is a nice added touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still like the cute Cubbie vs the meaner one.

      Delete
  2. Yazı tarzını çok beğendim, güzel bilgiler, kattığın için teşekkürler :D 먹튀검증

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...