Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2017

2017 Topps Series 1 Cubs


If you asked me to define myself as a card collector I'd be hard pressed to give you an answer.   I own some sets but I'm not a set collector.  I haven't tried to "build" a set since I was a kid.  I have one major player collection (Ron Santo) and a few smaller ones but I'm very casual about them so I wouldn't call myself a player collector.   I love the Cubs and the Blackhawks and I'm a Bulls and Bears fan as well.  If I pull one of their cards from a pack I'm generally happy but I don't have a binder filled with them.

If you've read this blog (not too much to read lately) you'll recall that I had an odd reaction to the World Series.  When it comes to collecting I haven't gone crazy buying World Series memorabilia.  In fact most of what I have was given to me as gifts.  On the other hand it just seems stupid not to celebrate what for now is a once in a lifetime event.  So I bought myself one of the Topps World Series sets and today I received a 20 card team set from the greatly blogged about 2017 Topps Series 1 set.  I know it's getting mixed reviews.  I do like it.  Yes, the bottom part is taken up by "design" but it's otherwise full bleed which I like.  I'm neutral on the backs.  One negative for me was a relatively dull look to the cards.  It's a personal taste thing I'm sure but I like my sports photographs to be bright and saturated.  It's one reason I love Upper Deck's hockey cards.  Don't know if you would have noticed but for this post I used Picassa to enhance the fronts to make them more to my liking.  So that's a long winded way to say that for this moment in time I'm a team collector.  Here are the cards:





 















6 comments:

  1. I really like the photo selection on that Lester "wins leaders" card - he looks quite intimidating! Also, these definitely look a lot better with some added saturation; the more color, the better,

    ReplyDelete
  2. bringing out the blue - really adds pop to the photos. so glad the Cubs won in my lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in the fan club of those who like the Heyward card. The first couple steps out of the batters box never get much card time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so much want Heyward to get back to form this season. He seems like a great guy and it was hard to watch him struggle so much.

      Delete
  4. I love the team cards this year -- both the standard team shot and the World Series celebration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those two would have to be my favorites. Can't see the celebration too many times. It's awesome to have it immortalized on a card.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...