Search This Blog

Monday, June 23, 2014

I Did Not Know That -- Ken Holtzman

I know that Ken Holtzman played for the Cubs and was a big part of the beloved 1969 squad.  He threw his first of two career no-hitters on August 19,1969 against the Braves.  

I also know that after the 1971 season Kenny was dealt to Charlie O. Finley's Swingin'A's.  During the A's three Championship seasons he went 59-41 with a 2.85 ERA.  He also went 4-1 in the 3 World Series.
 

I know that Kenny played for the New York Yankees before coming back to finish his career where it began.
What I didn't know (and thanks for scrolling down this far) was that Holtzman once wore the cartoon bird.  In the Spring of 1976 he was a member of the Baltimore Orioles.  On April 2 he was acquired by the Orioles along with Reggie Jackson in the deal that sent Don Baylor and Mike Torrez to the A's. On June 15, after just 13 appearances and a 5-4 record Ken was traded again, this time to the New York Yankees in a ten player mega-deal.
As far as I know there are no baseball cards of Holtzman with the Orioles nor many photos.  Here are the ones I've found.

Well, this is a sort of card.  It was part of a large set available in perforated sheets at either Crown gas stations or at Memorial Stadium in 1991.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...