Search This Blog

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Blow Out the Candles March 1 (Now with Will Ferrell as Harry)

Legendary Cardinals, White Sox and Cubs announcer Harry Caray was born on this date in 1914.

I'm a Cubs fan but back when he was with them I would even watch White Sox games just to hear Harry especially when he was teamed with Jimmy Piersall.

Of course I was happier when he came over to Cubs.

Sort of a dynasty-- Grandson Chip, Harry and son Skip


Harry has inspired many a comedian including the Cubs own Ryan Dempster.

Actor, director, producer Ron Howard is celebrating his 58th birthday today.

Ron directed films such as , Splash, Cocoon, Parenthood, Backdraft, Apollo 13, The DaVinci Code, and won an Oscar for A Beautiful Mind.   Still in my mind he's Opie Taylor from Mayberry.

Some of you may remember him more fondly as Richie Cunningham from Happy Days.

Question-- Better Ron Howard character -- Opie or Richie?

Actor and writer David Niven was born in London, England on this date in 1910.
Niven's film career spanned five decades from the early 1930's to the 1980's.  He won the Oscar for best actor in 1958 for his role as Major Angus Pollock in Separate Tables.


My favorite of his movies is the 1946 film, A Matter of Life and Death released in the US as Stairway to Heaven.  It's a movie I stumbled upon years ago and has been one of my favorites ever since. 
Niven (squadron leader Peter D. Carter) with co-star Kim Hunter (June)
The stairway to heaven


OK you're probably thinking of this so I won't disappoint you:



3 comments:

  1. I'm a tad disappointed that you didn't include a Will Ferrell as Harry Caray clip. "Hey! What about this? If you had the choice of being the top scientist in your field or getting mad cow disease what would it be?"

    Better Ron Howard character? Richie Cunningham. Opie was cute, but not a better character. The Andy Griffith Show was a better show, though.

    I think of David Niven as playing Paul de Brack in the 1937 film "Dinner at the Ritz", and Sir Charles Lytton in the 1963 "Pink Panther". I'll have to watch "Stairway to Heaven".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for the omission and have made the correction. I need all the help I can get.

      Delete
  2. I like the black and white Opie pic. I wonder if I was ever that happy when I was little.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...