Search This Blog

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Blow Out the Candles March 29

The legendary Cy Young was born in Gilmore, Ohio on this date in 1867.
 1993 UD All-Time Heroes #129

1905 -- I love the glove hanging from his belt

Boston Braves fan favorite, Tommy Holmes was born in Brooklyn, New York on this date in 1917.
2001 SP Legendary Cuts #B-THo

From Tommy's Grandson:
It’s been said that you should never meet your hero as you’ll only end up disappointed. For me though I really had no choice in the matter as it turned out he wanted to meet me.

As the grandson of an ex-ballplayer you would think I’d be pretty lucky and in this case you’d be right. Between the old stories, going to games together, all the knowledge of the game, and simply the way he carried himself, I never grew tired of being in his presence.

At the same time I still remember him being the man at the breakfast table with an incurable case of bed head that filled his coffee cup with a pound of sugar while munching on a banana, and reading the paper that would periodically “complain” how my grandmother could prepare me a plate of eggs, bacon, and toast no questions asked, but he couldn’t get a refill on his coffee.

It was like having two grandfather’s in one and both proved thoroughly entertaining. I still remember the first time he met M…after I entered the room, he took one look at me and soon glanced past saying, “You’re looking good kid, but I want to meet her!” Meanwhile at my age he batted .325, made the National League All-Star team, and drove in the game winning run during first game of the World Series. Not bad for a guy the Yankees couldn’t find room for in their outfield.

Happy Birthday Papa! Love, TJ

Tigers pitcher Denny McLain is celebrating his 68th birthday today.
2004 Fleer Greats #GBA-DM
Denny pitching in the 1968 World Series
Denny was the last man to win at least 30 games in a season.


New York Knicks great Walt Frazier is turning 67 today.
1971-72 Topps #65

CLYDE!

Career highlights and awards
2× NBA Champion (19701973)
7× NBA All-Star (19701976)
4× All-NBA First Team (1970197219741975)
2× All-NBA Second Team (19711973)
7× All-Defensive First Team (19691975)
NBA All-Rookie First Team (1968)
NBA All-Star Game MVP (1975)
#10 retired by New York Knicks
NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if Walt was the facial hair inspiration for Samuel L. Jackson's character (Jules Winnfield) in Pulp Fiction.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...