Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Blow Out the Candles March 7

Artist, Piet Mondrian was born in Amersfoort, The Netherlands on this date in 1872.

Farm Along the River Gein, 1900

"I construct lines and color combinations on a flat surface, in order to express general beauty with the utmost awareness. Nature (or, that which I see) inspires me, puts me, as with any painter, in an emotional state so that an urge comes about to make something, but I want to come as close as possible to the truth and abstract everything from that, until I reach the foundation (still just an external foundation!) of things…"

Farm Near Duivendrecht, 1916

"I believe it is possible that, through horizontal and vertical lines constructed with awareness, but not with calculation, led by high intuition, and brought to harmony and rhythm, these basic forms of beauty, supplemented if necessary by other direct lines or curves, can become a work of art, as strong as it is true."

Tableau No. 2/Composition No. VII, 1913
Composition with Red, Blue, Black, Yellow, and Gray, 1921

Composer Maurice Ravel was born in Ciboure, France on this date in 1875

"I did my work slowly, drop by drop. I tore it out of me by pieces."

"We should always remember that sensitiveness and emotion constitute the real content of a work of art."

“The only love affair I have ever had was with music”


Musician Matthew Fisher is celebrating his 66th birthday today.
Matthew Fisher (front center) and the rest of Procol Harum
2006
In 2006 Fisher won a lawsuit over royalties from the Procol Harum song "A Whiter Shade of Pale" on which Fisher played the distinctive organ solos.


Tennis great Ivan Lendl is celebrating his 52nd birthday today.
 1987 FaxPax

Lendl was the winner of eight Grand Slam Singles titles including 3 French, 2 Australian and 2 US.  A Wimbledon Championship eluded him:

“Grass? Give me a bucket of balls and a sand wedge. Sure I like grass.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...