Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

Blow Out the Candles February 6

The Sultan of Swat, Babe Ruth was born in Baltimore, Maryland on this date in 1895.
 1980 Cramer Baseball Legends #1




Some quotes attributed to the Babe:

Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world.

Cobb is a prick. But he sure can hit. God Almighty, that man can hit.

If I'd just tried for them dinky singles I could've batted around .600.

Reading isn't good for a ballplayer. Not good for his eyes. If my eyes went bad even a little bit I couldn't hit home runs. So I gave up reading. 

I'll promise to go easier on drinking and to get to bed earlier, but not for you, fifty thousand dollars, or two-hundred and fifty thousand dollars will I give up women. They're too much fun. 

All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it. I get back to the dugout and they ask me what it was I hit and I tell them I don't know except it looked good.

Don't ever forget two things I'm going to tell you. One, don't believe everything that's written about you. Two, don't pick up too many checks.

Catcher Smokey Burgess was born in Carolee, North Carolina on this date in 1927.
Smokey was a 9-time All-Star and when he retired held the career record for pinch hits with 145.
Smokey played for the Phillies from 1952-1955.
August 21, 1954
Phillies, Curt Simmons (can't miss the flat-top), Del Ennis and Smokey
Smokey with the Cincinnati Reds - May 21, 1956  
 Two shots of Smokey from Game 4 of the 1960 World Series
Smokey hit .294 for the World Series Champs in 1960 and .333 in the Series.

French filmmaker Francois Truffaut was born on  in Paris this date in 1932.

I loved Small Change.

My favorite scene

Singer/songrwriter Kate McGarrigle was born in Montreal, Quebec, Canada on this date in 1946.

Kate recorded  ten albums with her sister Anna.

Kate is the mother of singers Rufus and Martha Wainwright.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...