Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Orange Blossom Special

These matchbook covers are going to be a Christmas gift for my train enthusiast Father-in-Law.  Since he doesn't have a computer and I think they're cool I decided to share them here.  I'm guessing the matchbooks and the trains they promote are from the 1940's-1950's era.

Even though this picture was taken in 1941 it still rang a bell with me.  It was taken at the Wilson Avenue "L" stop on the north side of Chicago.
 Here's a more recent shot of a restored train.



These next two are both promoting the Hiawatha Line.




The Orange Blossom Special inspired this classic in 1938.






1 comment:

  1. David,

    In the 1960s, those Electroliners were sold to a public transit system in the Philadelphia suburbs (now part of SEPTA) and converted for 3rd-rail use. I never rode on them, but I remember seeing them parked in the scrap yard alongside Upper Darby's 69th Street terminal in the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...