Search This Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2021

A Cap Conundrum

 I have a modest sports team cap collection.  I gathered most of them for this picture.  It's probably about 80+% of what I have.    

My wife "appropriated" a few early on in our courtship/marriage.  Funny story.  One cold Chicago day we were crossing the bridge from Millennium Park to the Modern Wing of the Art Institute when some guy yelled out, "Keep the Dodgers in Brooklyn!"  You can guess which of "her" hats she was wearing.  Maybe some day I'll get another for myself.
The Nichols Bridge

That's all prologue.  The specific cap I want to talk about is not in the "team picture". It's this Montreal Expos cap. I've had it for as long as I can remember.  Actually, my memory being akin to that of a goldfish,  it's much longer than I can remember, probably over 30 years.  It took many years until I realized there's something strange about this cap.  Do you see it?
I can't find a single photograph (aside from a couple of ads) that show this cap with a red brim.  Check out these cards.
American Needle is no fly by night operation.  They couldn't have made such a big mistake, right?  What am I missing?  Does anyone know if or when the Expos wore a cap like this?  These days they make caps in any number of variations, from camo to all black, Spring Training to Warm-up.  I don't think they were doing that in the 1980's.  

Any help would be appreciated.
As always thanks for stopping by.  

13 comments:

  1. Dressed To The Nines doesn't show any cap like this. It's also blue brim and red side panels, not the other way around. (The NHL would now call this a "Reverse Retro" cap.)

    If you ask on Uni Watch, well, if no one there has seen the cap before, you can bet it didn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See. I didn't even register the side panels. Btw Gotta love "reverse retro". Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Nice hat collection. I used to collect hats too, but the only time I ever wear one is when I attend a ballgame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear them for 3 seasons. My only problem is that many of the fitted size 7s no longer fit my fat head.

      Delete
  3. That's a great Seattle Pilots cap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seem to be quite a few variations of that one. Mine has some big braids.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I've accumulated them over a long time. I'm sure other guys have many more.

      Delete
  5. Nice stuff. Thanks for reminding me, I have always wanted an Expos cap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's some more Expos' bric-a-brac for you:

    http://mlb1960s.blogspot.com/search/label/.Expos

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...