Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

Blow Out the Candles January 16

Boston great Jimmy Collins was born on this date in 1970


Hall of Famer Dizzy Dean was born on this date in 1910

 1994 Conlon Collection #1109

 1994 Conlon Collection #1170





Dizzy comes in at about 2:40
Quirky singer/songwriter Jill Sobule celebrates her 47th birthday today.


Jill Sobule "Kissed a Girl" 13 years before Katy Perry stole the song title.

From Wikipedia:
The singer Katy Perry would take the title "I Kissed a Girl" for her own song of that name, which appeared in her 2008 album One of the Boys. The song received a mixed reception, and was unfavourably compared to Sobule's original song by some commentators: Hiponline.com wrote that the song is "not nearly as interesting or exciting as you’d expect. It’s not even half as good as Jill Sobule’s song 'I Kissed a Girl'".[1] Glitterati Gossip wrote that Sobule's song "was ten times better, because there was actual emotional content to her lyrics".[2]

Sobule shared her feelings about Perry's song and use of the title in a July 2009 interview with The Rumpus:

“ When Katy Perry's song came out I started getting tons of inquiries about what I thought. Some folks (and protective friends) were angry, and wondered why she took my title and made it into this kind of 'girls gone wild' thing....

As a musician I have always refrained from criticizing another artist. I was, 'Well, good for her.' It did bug me a little bit, however, when she said she came up with the idea for the title in a dream. In truth, she wrote it with a team of professional writers and was signed by the very same guy that signed me in 1995. I have not mentioned that in interviews as I don't want to sound bitter or petty...

Okay, maybe, if I really think about it, there were a few jealous and pissed-off moments. So here goes, for the first time in an interview: Fuck you Katy Perry, you fucking stupid, maybe 'not good for the gays,' title-thieving, haven't heard much else, so not quite sure if you're talented, fucking little slut.

God that felt good.[3]


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...