Search This Blog

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Blow Out the Candles March 13

Hall of Famer John "Home Run" Baker was born in Trappe, Maryland on this date in 1886.
1989 Pacific Baseball Legends #146


"(Frank) Baker is the greatest climax player of baseball." - New York Giants pitcher Christy Mathewson
"I'd say fifty (when asked how many home runs he would have hit during the lively era) anyway. The year I hit twelve, I also hit the right-field fence at Shibe Park thirty-eight times."
Home Run with the King of Swat on April 13, 1921

"I hope he (Babe Ruth) lives to hit one-hundred homers in a season. I wish him all the luck in the world. He has everybody else, including myself, hopelessly outclassed." - (November 1921)

Baker was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1955.

Singer/songwriter Neil Sedaka is celebrating his 72nd birthday today.

Neil with his backup singers, "The Cookies".




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...