Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

1973 Topps Football -- The Name Game

#492

Mick isn't in the Hall of Fame but he was good enough to have his number 53 retired by the Vikings.

#38

Deacon Jones is in the Hall of Fame. His name makes me think of the Steely Dan song, Deacon Blues.



DEACON BLUES

This is the day
Of the expanding man
That shape is my shade
There where I used to stand
It seems like only yesterday
I gazed through the glass
At ramblers
Wild gamblers
That's all in the past

You call me a fool
You say it's a crazy scheme
This one's for real
I already bought the dream
So useless to ask me why
Throw a kiss and say goodbye
I'll make it this time
I'm ready to cross that fine line

CHORUS:
I'll learn to work the saxophone
I'll play just what I feel
Drink Scotch whisky all night long
And die behind the wheel
They got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues

My back to the wall
A victim of laughing chance
This is for me
The essence of true romance
Sharing the things we know and love
With those of my kind
Libations
Sensations
That stagger the mind

I crawl like a viper
Through these suburban streets
Make love to these women
Languid and bittersweet
I'll rise when the sun goes down
Cover every game in town
A world of my own
I'll make it my home sweet home

CHORUS

This is the night
Of the expanding the man
I take one last drag
As I approach the stand
I cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long
This brother is free
I'll be what I want to be

CHORUS

2 comments:

  1. When I think of Deacon, I think of the Brady Bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and Joe Namath. I remember when Herman Munster got a try out with the Dodgers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...