Search This Blog

Sunday, February 19, 2017

An ebay Bargain Pack

I did a little ebay bargain hunting again last month.  These seven cards were won individually from a single seller for a total of $.83 shipped.

This 2004 Topps Chrome Jason Michaels was an easy buy at 15 cents.  I may have the base card somewhere but I know I don't have the Chrome.  Baseball is supposed to be a game.  Nothing wrong with a little whimsy.

The next two cards go into my Jewish athletes collection.  "The Baseball Talmud", ranks Shawn Green as the fourth greatest of all-time behind, Greenberg, Koufax, and Boudreau.  This 1995 Pinnacle rookie card was 6 cents.

Blomberg is notable for being MLB's very first designated hitter, back in 1973.  In 2007 he managed the Beth Shemeth Blue Sox in the short lived Israel Baseball League.  I also like this card for it's depiction of the terrible Bill Veeck "softball" uniform (no shorts, though).  Of the seven cards this was the oldest and priciest at 23 cents.

Sight unseen I'd pay 11 cents for a Jim Walewander card, wouldn't you?  Then look at the guy.  Awesome!  Looks like an accountant.  No surprise then that he ended up getting an MBA.  On a more personal note, he was born in my home town of Chicago and went to high school in the nearby suburb of Park Ridge.  On top of all that the guy was reportedly a bit of an eccentric and fan favorite.  I may have to start a Walewander collection.

I could look him up and pretend I know something but honestly I chose this card because I don't think I own a card of anyone else named Zigmund.  And I like the Gorton's fisherman sweater.
I couldn't pass up a nice Todd Helton for 11 cents.

Oops.  Posted this without mentioning Jon.  He won two championships after his appearance on this card.  Maybe not a Hall of Fame career but a really solid player.

9 comments:

  1. It's expired... but that Ziggy Crash the Game card is a winner! He scored against the Red Wings on 11/19/97. Yeah... I'm that bored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost looked it up. Thanks for doing my work for me.

      Delete
  2. I miss the "You Crash the Game" cards so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice bargain hunting! Gotta love that Blomberg sunset card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That card has a lot going for it. How about the mustache?

      Delete
  4. my kind of ebay deals! Walewander - great name!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of an arrested development thing but I do like to collect cards of players with "funny" names.

      Delete
  5. Olerud was definitely a "Hall of Very Good" guy. That Walewander is glorious. And I know the giant glove is the main attraction to the Michaels chrome, but I always wonder how Topps comes up with interesting facts/text for non-descript players like him: "Jason is unspectacular..." lol. poor guy.

    Also, Zigmund Palffy was a pretty good goal scorer from some pretty bad Islanders teams. Without looking it up, I'd say he had three 30+ goal seasons, and maybe a 40 goal season. (edit: i looked it up. he had three 40+ goal seasons, and nearly hit 50 once. I forgot how high-scoring the 90s were!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to write it but the Olerud was just 6 cents. In terms of Pallfy and in general, the older I get the more I realize how little I know about anything, including sports.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...