Search This Blog

Monday, June 29, 2015

1925 Rothman's Cinema Stars

I would guess that most of us have a special affinity for a time period not our own.  Mine is definitely from around the 1880's to the 1930's.  I love the architecture, the style, the music and the literature.   Hey it's the time of the Eiffel Tower, The Marx Brothers,  Babe Ruth, F. Scott Fitzgerald  and The Empire State Building, the Wright Brothers.  You get the idea.  I can't really say that I'm a fan of silent movies but the actresses were beautiful.
     I just recently picked up these five cards from a set of 25 put out by Rothman's in 1925.  Their condition is almost too good to be true.  The Rothman's brands, including Pall Mall, though not under their original owner are still around.  The backs are all the same so I put one at the end.





















The backs are identical except for the card number.

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating find! I too have always had a thing for turn of the century culture; perhaps that comes with being Cubs fans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only way to experience winning as a Cubs fan is with a time machine, right? This past week aside, things are looking up.

      Delete
  2. I love these old actress cards. I have a bunch of tobacco cards from some other set. Actually, I love all that old non-sport stuff.

    Marion Davies may be the biggest name you have, and possibly of the whole set. She was involved with William Randolph Hearst and there was at least one movie made about her (and Hearst)... The Cat's Meow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did recognize her name. That photo doesn't flatter her, though.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...