Search This Blog

Monday, September 10, 2012

Blow Out the Candles September 10

Golf legend Arnold Palmer is celebrating his 82nd birthday today.

1990 ProSet #80
 Arnie and Jack


Yankees star Roger Maris was born in Hibbing, MN on this date in 1934.
2004 Fleer GOTG #16

This is the only vintage Maris (not counting the 1962 HR Leaders card) in my collection. It was his next to last.
1967 Topps #45
"Every day I went to the ballpark in Yankee Stadium as well as on the road people were on my back. The last six years in the American League were mental hell for me. I was drained of all my desire to play baseball."
"I don't want to be Babe Ruth. He was a great ballplayer. I'm not trying to replace him. The record is there and damn right I want to break it, but that isn't replacing Babe Ruth."
"It would have been a helluva lot more fun if I had not hit those sixty-one home runs."

Hall of Famer George "Highpockets" Kelly was born in San Francisco, California on this date in 1895.
1992 Conlon Collection #561

Ted Kluszewski aka Big Klu was born in Argo, IL on this date in 1924.
2005 UD Classics #88

About the Reds management's reaction his his cutting off his uniform sleeves Ted later said,"They got pretty upset, but it was either that or change my swing — and I wasn't about to change my swing"

 2004 Fleer GOTG #69

Hall of Fame manager Leo Durocher was asked to name five of the strongest players in baseball, he complied. When it was pointed out that he'd left Ted Kluszewski off his list, Durocher said: "Kluszewski? I'm talking about human beings!"


Future Hall of Famer Randy Johnson turns 49 today.
1989 Donruss #42
1990 Score #415
"I had a long conversation with Steve Carlton. He told me that on the days he pitched, he felt it was his responsibility to make everyone around him better, to lift his teammates. That's what I try to do."
 
When you can throw 97 miles an hour and put the ball over the plate anytime you want, it's fun.
"When you win, you want more of it. You can't win enough."

1 comment:

  1. David,

    Nice post! I'm a big Roger Maris fan, and that '67 card was my first Maris card. A year later I got his last card, and about 2 years ago I finally got his 1966 card (w/Yankees uni!)

    (By the way, I just appropriated your photo of Maris & Mantle at Yankee Stadium. Thanks.)



    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...