Search This Blog

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Blow Out the Candles July 16

Detroit Lions great Barry Sanders is 43 today.

I'm a Bears fan so I'm partial to Walter Payton but if I wasn't I might give the nod to Barry as the best running back I've ever seen.  I certainly recall him running through the Bears defense.



Where do you rank Barry Sanders?

Shoeless Joe Jackson was born in Pickens County, SC on this date in 1887.
"God knows I gave my best in baseball at all times and no man on earth can truthfully judge me otherwise."
"Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning."
-- Connie Mack

"What a hell of a league this is. Ah hit .387, .408, and .395 the last three years and Ah ain't won nothin' yet!"
"When I was up there at the plate, my purpose was to get on base anyway I could, whether by hitting or by getting hit."
Ty and Joe 
"I ain't afraid to tell the world that it don't take school stuff to help a fella play ball."
 "I copied Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest hitter I had ever seen, the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."-- Babe Ruth
"Everything he hit was really blessed. He could break bones with his shots. Blindfold me and I could still tell you when Joe hit the ball. It had a special crack."
-- Ernie Shore

Screen legend Ginger Rogers was born in Independence, Missouri on this date in 1911.
 1934 Player Fim Stars #38




Comedian Will Ferrell is 44 today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...