Search This Blog

Saturday, April 18, 2020

RIP Glenn Beckert 1940-2020

There are a lot of things I don't like about getting older.  One of them is hearing about the deaths of  athletes and entertainers I grew up with. Such was the case last Sunday with the passing of Glenn Beckert.
1969 Tasco Poster.  It's hanging in my dining room with Hundley and Santo.
A couple of great mug shots.  "Strong armed outfielder"?  Glenn ended his major league career having played a total of ten innings in the outfield with two chances.  He did make the catches. If you check out his actual records you'll find this must have been a Topps error.  Glenn was an infielder for his entire  three year minor league career.

Captain Serious.  I still love cute Cubbie patch.
One of my two Milk Duds boxes.  The other is Ron Santo.
As far as I know none of the card companies has ever issued a certified auto of Glenn Beckert.  Don Kessinger has at least a couple.
You could probably find this game.  Duke Sims only played in 140 games with the Dodgers (90 in 1971 and 50 in 1972).

This is a photograph I took at a Cubs Alumni vs. Hollywood Stars game at Wrigley Field.  Glenn is at the far right, smiling.  Did Ernie just say something amusing?  

  

6 comments:

  1. Always sad to hear. On a positive note, I especially love the Milk Duds carton and the alumni game photo you took.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The Beckert Milk Duds was a consolation prize for not winning a bid on a Santo. I did finally pick up a a PSA 5 Santo later. The funny thing is that I don't remember ever seeing them as a kid in Chicago. I still have 100's of 1971 Topps. But again, no scratch offs.

      Delete
  2. Yes, the Cubs alumni game photo is all kinds of levels of awesome. So many of Beckert's Topps cards had a re-used photo, which is why I think this one stands out.
    Is that Yosh in the front right of the picture? It kind of looks like his floppy hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Tom. No, not Yosh. It's just one of the Wrigley staff. That's more of a pith helmet. You'll know this but you can see a small piece of Yosh's handiwork in the 1973 shot.

      Delete
  3. "There are a lot of things I don't like about getting older. One of them is hearing about the deaths of athletes and entertainers I grew up with."... I'm glad to see a new post from you, but that first line is really depressing :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And wait til later today. I'll try to lighten up Jon, but any inspiration is better than none.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...