Search This Blog

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Card of the Day -- Sid Gordon

This was just going to be a regular old Card of the Day post until I saw a post from one of my favorite bloggers who made a comment that made me think a bit (no I didn't hurt myself).  He thought it "weird" that Topps would put out a card like this, connecting two players by their religious background.


(thanks to COMC for this image)

 I don't think it's weird at all.  I'm not going to attempt to write a thesis here but guys like Hank Greenberg and Sandy Koufax have meant a lot to Jews, especially sports minded Jewish boys and I would think this continues today.  I'm aware that Ryan Braun is Jewish and there is a measure of cultural pride I take in his accomplishments.  By putting out this card Topps is honoring not only the players but their fans.

That being said here's another great Jewish ballplayer, Sid Gordon on his 1953 Topps card.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...