Search This Blog

Monday, July 26, 2010

Answers to Yesterday's Trivia Question

Yesterday's challenge was to name the Jewish pitchers (not named Sandy Koufax) who threw no-hitters in the 1960's.  Night Owl knew the best one, Ken Holtzman.

1989 Swell #129

On August 19, 1969 Kenny no-hit the Atlanta Braves 3-0 at Wrigley Field.  He pitched a second no hitter in 1971 against the Reds.




Joe (Joel) Horlen of the White Sox tossed a 6-0 no-hitter at Comisky Park on September 10, 1967 against the Detroit Tigers.



Some post ideas come from opening new cards, some from the day's events.   This one actually came from my picking an old book off a bookshelf in my living room.  It's a book I've had for over 30 years and I haven't read it since the 70's.


Notice anything familiar about it?  Check out the back cover.


Yes, you got it!  1972 Topps



I kid you not,  I picked this particular 1972 card because Nolan was an Angel.  It was only after I uploaded it here that I recalled his 7 no-hitters.  

Bo Belinsky threw a 2-0 ho-hitter against the Baltimore Orioles on May 5, 1962.  It was the first Angels no-hitter and the first at Dodger Stadium. It was only Bo's fourth major league start.




Belinsky started his career winning his first five games.  It was downhill from there.  He became more well known for his off the field activities than his pitching.  Below are a few shots  taken with a young Ann Margaret.  A-Rod's got nothing on Bo.  Bo knows chicks.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...