Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Ernie Banks and the Thunderbolt Kid


I came across a great little anecdote that involves the writer Bill Bryson and Cubs great Ernie Banks. It's in Bryson's memoir The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.




"Once on a hot July afternoon I sat in a nearly airless clubhouse under the left-field grandstand at Wrigley Field beside Ernie Banks, the Cubs' great shortstop, as he autographed boxes of new white baseballs (which are, incidentally, one of the most pleasurably aromatic things on earth, and worth spending time around anyway). Unbidden, I took it upon myself to sit beside him and pass him each new ball. This slowed the process considerably, but he gave a little smile each time and said thank you as if I had done him quite a favor. He was the nicest human being I have ever met. It was like being friends with God."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...